Headlines Speaking
Debate/Åä·Ð Essay/¿µÀÛ
Àΰ­°úÁ¤ Misc
ÀÚ·á½Ç
WTS ½ÃÇ躸±â
[Headlines] (HL-Á¤Ä¡/»çȸ/°æÁ¦) Fatherless and Abandoned, Vietnamese-Americans Search for Their Families
ÃÖ°í°ü¸®ÀÚ  |  16-12-26 17:58

[Àü¹® + mp3]  /  [¹Þ¾Æ¾²±â]

Moki, Tan and Jannies were babies at the close of the American war in Vietnam in the 1970s. Their mothers were Vietnamese. Their fathers were American soldiers. In one way or another, they were all abandoned. Now, the search for their birth families has brought them together. Here are their stories. Moki was at an orphanage in Vietnam when her adopted mother saw her. Maria Eitz was single, but she had already taken in two mixed-race Vietnamese boys. Now she wanted her sons to have a sister. After all, Eitz knew what it was like to be an orphan. She was left in Germany without her parents at the end of World War II. The women who worked at the Can Tho orphanage tried to show Eitz some mixed-race babies with light skin. But Eitz saw only a dark-skinned girl with a big stomach and curly hair. ¡°That¡¯s my daughter,¡± Eitz said. She wanted a girl who looked like her two black-Vietnamese adopted sons. And, she said, she wanted a girl whom nobody else wanted.
* at the close of ~ = ~ÀÇ ³¡¿¡, ¸¶Áö¸·¿¡/ in one way or another = ¾î¶»°Ôµç, ±×·°Àú·°/ abandoned = ¹ö·ÁÁø, À¯±âµÈ/ bring ~ together = ~¸¦ Àçȸ[È­ÇØ, Á¢ÃË]½ÃÅ°´Ù; ÇÕÄ¡´Ù, ¹­´Ù/ orphanage = °í¾Æ¿ø/ adopt = ÀÔ¾çÇÏ´Ù/ take ~ in = ~¸¦ (ÀÚ±â Áý¿¡) ¹Þ¾ÆµéÀÌ´Ù[ÀÚ±â Áý¿¡¼­ Áö³»°Ô ÇÏ´Ù]/ orphan = °í¾Æ/ dark-skinned = ÇǺΰ¡ °ËÀº

Eitz named her daughter Moki and brought her to San Francisco, California, where she and her sons lived. ¡°I remember being very happy as a kid,¡± Moki said. Her house was full of other children. Her adopted mother eventually married a kind, respectful man. Moki attended a good school and had close friends. Still, Moki thought about finding her biological parents. She imagined they had a love story. Their romance was like a fairy tale, she thought – like the show ¡°Miss Saigon.¡± When she was 18 years old, Moki herself became pregnant. Even at that young age, she was excited to have her own child. ¡°I wanted my own blood,¡± Moki explained. She gave birth to a daughter, Kaitlin, in 1992. The following year, Moki found a growth on Kaitlin¡¯s neck. She brought her daughter to the doctor. But she could not tell the doctor her family¡¯s medical history. Mokie thought, ¡°This is my child and I don¡¯t know what¡¯s wrong. And the doctors don¡¯t seem to know what¡¯s wrong. And I have no information.¡± The thought scared her. Now, she had to find her biological parents. The search was a medical necessity.
* full of ~ = ~·Î °¡µæÂù/ eventually = °á±¹, ±Ã±ØÀûÀ¸·Î/ biological parents = »ýºÎ¸ð/ fairy tale = µ¿È­, ²Ù¹Î À̾߱â/ pregnant = ÀÓ½ÅÇÑ/ give birth to ~ = [~]¾ÆÀ̸¦ ³º´Ù/ growth = (Áúº´À¸·Î »ç¶÷・µ¿½Ä¹°¿¡ »ý±â´Â) Á¾¾ç[Ȥ]/ medical history = º´·Â(Ü»Õö)/ necessity = ºÒ°¡ÇÇÇÑ ÀÏ; ÇʼöÇ°; ÇÊ¿ä(¼º)