Headlines Speaking
Debate/Åä·Ð Essay/¿µÀÛ
Àΰ­°úÁ¤ Misc
ÀÚ·á½Ç
WTS ½ÃÇ躸±â
[Debate/Åä·Ð] (NYT) Have Christians Created a Harmful Atmosphere for Gays?
ÃÖ°í°ü¸®ÀÚ  |  16-06-18 15:40

Have Christians Created a Harmful Atmosphere for Gays?
¡°Sadly it is religion, including our own,¡± a Florida bishop wrote after the massacre in a gay club in Orlando, that can ¡°plant the seed of contempt, then hatred, which can ultimately lead to violence¡± against gays, lesbians and transgender people. One congressman said, ¡°We are not blameless, when we tell government contractors it is O.K. to discriminate against someone because they are gay or lesbian – or tell transgender school children that we will not respect their gender identity.¡± But is it fair to say that people share any blame for Saturday night¡¯s attack because they oppose L.G.B.T. equality for religious reasons? And while the media is focused on the role that Muslim anti-gay rhetoric may have played in this slaughter, do conservative Christians need to accept greater civil rights for L.G.B.T people in order to create a less hurtful atmosphere in the United States?
* bishop = ÁÖ±³/ massacre = ´ëÇлì/ contempt = °æ¸ê, ¸ê½Ã/ hatred = Áõ¿À[Çø¿À](°¨)/ lead to ~ = ~·Î À̾îÁö´Ù/ blameless = ¶¸¶¸ÇÑ, Ã¥ÀÓÀÌ ¾ø´Â/ discriminate against ~ = ~À» Â÷º° ´ë¿ì[³Ã´ë]ÇÏ´Ù/ gender identity = ¼ºº° ÀνÄ[ÀÚÀÛ]/ focus on ~ = ~¿¡ ÁÖ·ÂÇÏ´Ù, ÃÊÁ¡À» ¸ÂÃß´Ù/ rhetoric = ¹Ì»ç¾î±¸/ slaughter = ´ë·® Çлì, »ìÀ°; µµ»ì[µµÃà]/ civil rights = ½Ã¹ÎÀÇ Æòµî±Ç/ hurtful = ¸¶À½À» »óÇÏ°Ô[¾ÆÇÁ°Ô] Çϴ         

º¸¼öÀû ±âµ¶±³ÀεéÀº ´õ ¸¶À½À» »óÇÏ°Ô ÇÏ´Â ºÐÀ§±â¸¦ ¹Ì±¹¿¡¼­ ¸¸µé±â À§ÇØ LGBT¸¦ À§ÇÑ Æòµî±ÇÀ» ¹Þ¾ÆµéÀÏ ÇÊ¿ä°¡ ÀÖ³ª¿ä?

1. Waving a Blood-Soaked Rainbow Flag to Scapegoat Christians
Attributing religious beliefs on marriage and other rights to hate is a crude and illiberal attempt to suppress dissent.

2. Christians Must Repent for Devaluing L.G.B.T. People
Even when the message is wrapped in words of Christian love, the message is very clear: L.G.B.T. people are not wanted.

3. Restricting Free expression Is Not the Answer to Terrorism
One group¡¯s challenge, on religious grounds, to another group¡¯s assumptions does not inevitably result in ¡°a hateful atmosphere.¡±

4. Without Full Acceptance Gays Are Demeaned and Hurt
Even polite tolerance leaves L.G.B.T. people in a demeaning second-class position.

Sample Essay

Christians Must Repent for Devaluing L.G.B.T. People

By the time I was in high school, two things were clear to me: The first was that the Christians in my community were warm, generous, hospitable people who wanted to love gay people like me unconditionally. The second was that, because of their beliefs about marriage and sexuality, they could not create an environment where I felt truly wanted.

If their argument was true – that traditional beliefs about marriage and sexuality were not rooted in homophobia – then I figured I would¡¯ve been supported as a lesbian who, for much of my life, shared their views of marriage and chose to remain celibate. But the discrimination I faced as a staff member at Wheaton College last year changed me, proving to me that conservative Christians¡¯ anxiety was not about my sex life – their anxiety was about my existence.

We have been told very clearly that we are ¡°loved,¡± but a danger to young people. We are ¡°respected,¡± but our lives and beliefs are scrutinized. We are ¡°welcomed,¡± but we cannot play the piano in the church. There¡¯s a gap between their intentions and their actions.

That drives kindhearted people to publicly denounce laws that would protect L.G.B.T. people. It creates a culture where we¡¯re told that the way in which we were wired to love is wrong. We¡¯re told we are not worthy of protection from discrimination. Many are told they¡¯re not wanted in their homes, in their churches, in their jobs or public restrooms. Even when that message is wrapped in words of love, the message is very clear: L.G.B.T. people are not wanted.

It¡¯s no surprise, then, that subtle disdain for L.G.B.T. people would eventually be expressed more overtly. In the case of the shooting at Pulse in Orlando, it was devastating. The Christians I know were grieved by the massacre and they want to know how to help. The best thing they can do is repent for the ways they¡¯ve helped create a culture that devalues L.G.B.T. people made in the image of God, and then begin to tell a better story about us in their circles. If everyone grew up hearing that God delights in gay people and we have gifts to nourish our communities, I do not think we would be targeted for violence or discrimination.

Many Christians are beginning to tell a better story about L.G.B.T. people, but the tragedy on Sunday shows we have a long way to go. I know these Christians realize Jesus welcomed those who were previously unwanted and stood in solidarity with the marginalized. They will change the world when they begin to embody that spirit toward L.G.B.T. people and affirm that we are wanted in this world.