Headlines Speaking
Debate/Åä·Ð Essay/¿µÀÛ
Àΰ­°úÁ¤ Misc
ÀÚ·á½Ç
WTS ½ÃÇ躸±â
[Headlines] (HL-ÀÇÇÐ/°Ç°­/¿îµ¿) Helping Children Too Much Is Hurting Them
ÃÖ°í°ü¸®ÀÚ  |  16-03-08 18:35

[Àü¹® + mp3]  /  [¹Þ¾Æ¾²±â]

"Helicopter parenting" describes a style of raising children where parents are over-protective and do too much. The term was used for the first time in the late (nineteen) sixties. It describes parents who hover over their kids at home and at the playground like a helicopter. Today, modern technology allows these helicopter parents to hover from even far away. They can give their children directions at any moment from anywhere. Author Julie Lythcott-Haims wrote a book titled How to Raise an Adult: Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kids for Success. In her book, she gives readers a closer look at this parenting style. She also explains why parents should stop it. Julie Lythcott-Haims says she experienced the effects of helicopter parenting firsthand when she worked as dean of first year students at Stanford University. The incoming students, or freshmen, she says, were very smart and accomplished on paper. But many were unable to take care of themselves.
* helicopter parent(ing) = ±Ø¼º ºÎ¸ð(À°¾Æ)/ raise children = ¾ÆÀ̵éÀ» Å°¿ò/ over-protective = °úº¸È£ÇÏ´Â/ hover over ~ = ~ÀÇ À§¸¦ ¸Éµ¹´Ù/ give sb directions = ~¿¡°Ô Áö½ÃÇÏ´Ù/ trap = µ£, ¿Ã°¡¹Ì, ±ÃÁö/ firsthand = Á÷Á¢(À¸·Î); Á÷Á¢ üÇèÀ¸·Î       

"They were turning to parents constantly for guidance, for problem solving, to have them make the choice about something." Oftentimes, Lythcott-Haims had to remind those parents that their kids were old enough to take care of themselves. However, one evening she discovered that she too might be a helicopter mom. "I came home one day - my own kids were 8 and 10 at the time - and I leaned over at dinner and began cutting my 10-year-old son's meat. And I realized, 'Oh my goodness, I'm over-helping my 10-year-old. He should be able to cut his own meat! It's my job to teach him. I haven't done that.' I'm on track to being one of those parents.¡¯ I that's when I began to develop real empathy for parents and realized we're over helping with the best of intentions."
* turn to sb = (µµ¿ò¡¤Á¶¾ð µîÀ» À§ÇØ) ~¿¡ ÀÇÁöÇÏ´Ù/ guidance = (ƯÈ÷ ¿¬ÀåÀÚ・°æ·ÂÀÚ¿¡ ÀÇÇÑ) Áöµµ[¾È³»]/ lean over = ~³Ê¸Ó·Î ¸öÀ» ±¸ºÎ¸®´Ù/ empathy (for/with ~) = ~¿¡ ´ëÇÑ °¨Á¤ÀÌÀÔ, °ø°¨/ with the best of intentions = ¼±ÀÇ·Î