Headlines Speaking
Debate/Åä·Ð Essay/¿µÀÛ
Àΰ­°úÁ¤ Misc
ÀÚ·á½Ç
WTS ½ÃÇ躸±â
[Headlines] (HL-¿¹¼ú/Ãë¹Ì) Special Olympics Bowler Ready for Summer Games
ÃÖ°í°ü¸®ÀÚ  |  15-07-29 16:05

[Àü¹® + mp3]  /  [¹Þ¾Æ¾²±â]

Los Angeles, California is set to welcome more than 7,000 thousand athletes from 177 nations for the Special Olympics World Summer Games. The event gathers athletes with intellectual disabilities to take part in competitive sports. The events include basketball, gymnastics, foot races, bowling and many other summer sports. This year¡¯s games open July 25th. Barbara Figueroa will be there. She is a competitive bowler from southern California. She has been playing the sport for nine years and is excited about the international competition.
* be set to ~ = ~Çϵµ·Ï ¿¹Á¤µÇ¾î ÀÖ´Ù/the Special Olympics = (1968³â â¼³) Ưº° ¿Ã¸²ÇÈ/ intellectual disability = ÁöÀûÀå¾Ö/ gymnastics = üÁ¶/ foot race = µµº¸ °æÁÖ/ competitive = °æÀï·Â ÀÖ´Â, µÚÁöÁö ¾Ê´Â; °æÀïÀ» Çϴ     

Karen Terra is the Special Olympics director for San Diego. She says bowling practice helps Figueroa and other athletes stay focused. "Oh, they're so excited. In fact, Barbara just told me earlier this morning, she feels like she's won the lottery. You did win the lottery. You're one of 36 people from Southern California who got selected to go to this, out of 17,000 athletes. That is huge." Barbara Figueroa lives with Evelyn Benjamin, who has become like a grandmother. She says she has watched the athlete improve and shares in Figueroa¡¯s excitement. "I think she's a little overwhelmed. She's very excited. But I don't think she has any idea yet just how special this is going to be. I tell her, but until you experience it, the unknown, you can only fantasize."
* stay focused = ÁýÁßÇÏ´Ù/ win the lottery = º¹±Ç¿¡ ´ç÷µÇ´Ù/ overwhelmed = (°ÝÇÑ °¨Á¤¿¡) ¾ÐµµµÇ´Ù[ÈÛ½ÎÀÌ´Ù]/ fantasize = °ø»óÇÏ´Ù, ȯ»óÀ» °®´Ù